View Single Post
Old 02-21-20, 04:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,585 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For what it's worth, the people who enjoy the longest lives, and the longest health, all eat a lot of carbs. Look up "blue zones." Eating very low carb increases your chance of getting some cancers, possibly because the lack of fiber is back for your "gut bacteria." Everybody gets to make their own choices in life, but this one seems pretty obvious for healthy people. For cyclists, it's even more obvious because you need carbs for anerobic energy, to give it your all.
A friend posted this interesting perspective on the "blue zones". The paper he references is not as scientifically rigorous as it could be, but I found it thought-provoking, if nothing else.

I'm on board with the fiber research, though... I'm trying to get in the habit of incorporating several types of fiber and setting an interim goal of getting 50% of the RDA each day, if not more.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498