Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I'd argue that almost everyone is a complete idiot when it comes to working on, adjusting, or servicing rim brakes as well.
I'd have to disagree on that one. As a shop I can tell you that without a doubt I can't remember a single situation where any regular rider/enthusiast ever actually came to me to adjust their brakes. All seemed comfortable with turning a barrel adjuster and opening them up if you had a problem.

Since the switch to disc I see every single one of those guys. "I'm sure its easy but I don't have the tools and I don't know the first thing about bleeding brakes. I don't want to mess with it". Its one of the things I mentioned I like about disc. It has absolutely put more money into my pocket.

Also - worked on 4 BSO's today. These are "Bicycle Shaped Objects". Big box cheap bikes with no quality of components, assembly, adjustment or maintenance. All had been sitting for many years as well so rust, dust, dirt cobwebs and dead insect carcasses everywhere. All 4 had cable brakes and all worked just fine.

Likes For Psimet2001: