J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
The Impossible Build Challenge

I challenge myself sometimes, well, a lot. Not limited by my imagination, I think of things that I'd like to do, but sometimes my ideas are quickly thwarted by the starkness of reality. For instance, I've been courting the notion that I can build a complete bicycle without using a single bicycle component. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING would be hand-made by me. As a second-generation machinist, aircraft mechanic, industrial machinery mechanic, welder/fabricator, and all-around tinkerer, I am confident with my skills. Still, there is one slight problem remaining: How do I make a tire?

Yes, I am challenging myself to not even use bicycle tires.

Now I realize that this may not be a C&V topic, and if deemed necessary, I'll harbor no bad feelings if it gets moved. I like everyone in here. I recognize and respect the talent. Plus, everyone in here seems a lot more civilized in their comments. Other subforums just aren't as nice.

So fantasize with me a little. If you needed a tire, and there were no tires to be had, and you had materials at hand, how would you make one?

-or-

Are there any tall/narrow tires available that aren't built for bicycles? Have a sip of coffee, and let's indulge ourselves!