View Single Post
Old 02-23-20, 08:06 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 476 Posts
Awesome thread, really appreciate the different methods - small stove, wind stove, Dakota hole. I also haven't thought of the need for a CO meter, thanks for that. Definitely an enjoyable read and video, makes my imagination run wild.

I think if I was solo and going for miles in a short amount of time (a few days) I'd go with a fuel stove, bivouac and layers ala Doug. Fast setup and teardown, quick eating.

If I had more time or wanted to take in nature I'd really want that wood stove like Eric. Relaxing, stretching and warming yourself, it seems like when I ride I never stop to take it all in. You could rinse your clothes and dry em.

The Dakota pit seems like - "Oh my God I'm caught in a polar vortex and don't want to die" But seriously I bet that would be nice after days of hard miles.

Does anyone here winter tour with a partner or two? Seems like you could really spread the load and have some nice setups. Doug you and your wife ski with a specific purpose, does this mean you purposely don't carry nearly as much weight as you could? Or are you close to your "limit"?