Old 02-23-20, 08:40 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Presumably (I admit to having never used FMF) you have to have *some* user input to setup the time window to be tracked ?. Maybe you can leave this for certain times you *might* be on a bike ?, or and if you are riding at a time outside any you've established you now need to enable that slot ?. Or you just leave it as "8AM to 6PM M-Sun" ?, in order to eliminate any user input.

LiveTrack on Garmin actually better meets your requirement of reducing that additional potential need for user input. If you are using your Garmin to track every ride, than LT is always going to activate, no user selection needed once you do the initial setup of Enable and an e-mail address, things you have to set up with FMF in any event.

A bit of a silly discussion except it's useful to know there are apps like FMF for when you do want to be tracked and when Garmin is doing it's silly BS and cannot enable LT. Maybe they'll really get this fixed someday.
If you just want casual location sharing, then it doesn’t really matter which you pick and use and having a bike computer in the loop is fine. If you care about it for safety reasons, then I think getting the bike computer complexity and lack of reliability out of the equation is of primary importance. In that case things like Find My Friends work well or a variety others (pick your favorite). So figuring that out first is the most important criteria.

Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
Would you recommend the best unit for navigation? I don't care about Strava syncing and other features like HRM or power output. I'm just trying to easily create routes (ride with GPS for example) and go places. I never do well trying to rely on the phone.
I really like my Hammerhead Karoo for navigation so that would be my recommendation. They are out of stock right now due to the coronavirus issue in Asia, but that would be my first choice.

If you had to have it right now today, then the next best thing might by Sigma ROX 12 or some of the Garmin products depending on features you would want.