Old 02-23-20, 10:37 PM
Ronno6

Bikes: Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If all the pack has ridden off and left you, then maybe you need to find another pack or get some that ride at your level involved and riding with your pack.

However, I'm a little puzzled or surprised by the low numbers you claim for HR max and recovery times. Have you talked to a real heart doctor? I know that at our age we are supposed to have lower HR max and other things, but I've never known anyone that regularly gets cardio, even when taking off a year or so have the numbers you mention. But I"m not quite your age so maybe that's to happen yet.

If a full cardio workout is within your health abilities, I'd think limiting your HR and never going above a bad thing. For certain you may not need or want to spend a lot of time at the anaerobic levels I or others might do, because it's not necessarily making us better performing, it just fills an addiction. However you should be able to put out a good effort on climbs and sometimes flats for a sprint then see you HR come back to some level that you allows you to finish with comfortable energy reserves what ever distance you are cycling that day.

Shorter trips, I usually have a higher average HR. Longer trips usually have a lower average HR. But I still end longer trips with the same speeds as shorter ones. Just that I can't maintain those speeds for as long a time.

Also, do you replenish most of the carbs you burn on rides? If not, there's a problem to think about if these rides you are talking about are a couple hours or more in time.
I have not, as of yet, visited a heart doctor. That should probably happen soon.
I will need to investigate the Medicare aspect of that.

The numbers are what they are, if my Garmin HR monitor chest strap is to be trusted.

Today I rode from home, which involves a bit of climbing within the first half a mile.
HR went up to 135 by the time I reached the top.
I did manage to recover from that and other efforts on the ride, but had no trouble raising it to 130+ with any exertion at all.
I tried to go easy..........wound up with a 14.3 average for 21.5 miles or so.This route is hillier than I usually ride.
Average HR 128 with 141 max. And again, I tried to go easy.......That pesky perceived effort thing again.

My weight is probably an issue. It is down to 255 from 265 in the last 3 weeks.
I am hoping that, as the pounds are shed, the performance will increase.

As for the pack, it consists of 1 other rider and he is very patient.
When we met 5 years ago, the roles were reversed......he was a good student!