Old 02-24-20, 01:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Here's an example of why consumer/enthusiast cyclists worry about carbon fiber bike stuff being out of whack or aspoloding...

In September 2019, the steerer on Simon Pellaud's "Bianchi" (reportedly not actually made by Bianchi) snapped right at the finish line at the Tour du Doubs. It's astonishing he wasn't seriously injured, probably because it wasn't actually a sprint finish with serious pressure on the handlebar. He was in the second small bunch trailing 10 seconds behind the winner who blew through solo, and had a comfortable position in the small bunch, so it wasn't a reckless Cavendish type sprint. Otherwise it's likely he'd have been badly injured.

Now, as this writer speculates, it's likely the steerer tube snapped due to human error -- too much tension on the stem, not using spacers, etc. Maybe a previous crash and the mechanic didn't inspect or replace the fork. Neither the team nor Bianchi ever responded to requests for followups from the cycling media, and the initial Tweet and photo of the snapped steerer posted by Pellaud were quickly deleted from Instagram, although screencaps were published.

But that's the sort of nightmare scenario many of us envision every time we're rolling the bike out for another crack at Strava fame or infamy. (Or, in my case, another crack at nudging up from middle of the pack amidst the other 60something year old MAMILs.)

Considering an out-of-round or ovalized BB shell, etc., could quickly and easily be spotted with a simple go/no-go gauge, it's reasonable to worry about QC, or lack thereof. With rock bottom bargain bin priced carbon fiber bits, such as the Toseek flat aero handlebars, I'd just assume it's up to me to check them and assume the risk for handlebars costing under $100 when other name brand bars sell for at least double or triple that amount. With Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc., I'm assuming part of the higher price is due to QC and liability.

With Canyon, positioned midway between a first line maker like Trek, and no-name stuff from ebay or Alibaba, it still seems reasonable to assume they do at least some QC. An ovalized BB shell should have been caught.

After that Pellaud incident, I took my Diamondback Podium out of service to thoroughly inspect it as best I could, considering I don't have access to ultrasound for inspections (a friend in the aircraft industry does and has used it to check his bikes, but I don't want to impose). Sure 'nuff, I found some abrasions in the fork I didn't notice the last time I'd checked the bike. Looks like scrapes caused by rubbing against a curb. I know I didn't ride into a curb or drop it, so I'm guessing it happened either when I was careless when rolling to bike during a rest stop, or the bike may have fallen or been knocked over during a group ride rest stop and nobody told me.

No apparent problems with the steerer tube or frame, but it has me wondering whether I even want to ride the bike again after replacing the fork.

It's probably superstition, not based on anything logical, but I have a bit more faith in my older 1993 Trek 5900 which uses carbon forks but steel steerer tube and dropouts.

Hambini may be a potty mouthed smartypants, but he's reminding consumers to be aware of some legit risks.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-24-20 at 01:11 PM.
Likes For canklecat: