Thread: Do you ever....
View Single Post
Old 02-27-20, 11:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I am sure you are very experienced and able, but I don't do that anymore. If I am not on a structured group ride and am instead out riding solo, if I find myself riding at a similar pace to a stranger, I don't get on their wheel and I don't like it if they get on my wheel. I'll hang back and maybe match their pace, but at a distance. Adding some energy and trying to drop them is usually a bad idea - too many will take that as a challenge and then we seem to be racing. I'm not out there to race. There are safety and etiquette issues, of course, but mostly, if I had wanted to ride with others, I would have chosen a group ride that day.
Let me clarify on that. Most of the time, at least 95%, I am a solo rider and not on a structured ride. I do not set out purposely to catch up to, or pass, anybody anymore. I am no longer offended or insecure when someone passes me. I have never been one to purposely set out to drop another rider. I have no problem with someone jumping on my wheel as long as I do not sense that they are doing something to impede me or affect my safety. If and when I ride with others, I will do my share of the work. However, there are times when the pace I am doing requires passing others. When I say I get a kick out of it if they give me a surprised look, I do not mean that I gloat or feel better. I am simply amused by it. When I get on others back wheel, I stay there only if I know I can keep that pace, but feel I am not capable of getting around them and keeping up that pace as the lead. Otherwise, I will jump up and take my turn setting the pace, or drop off. I have never had a bad reaction from another rider from that behavior. If I think others are trying to drop me, I continue on as long as it is a pace I can,and want to do.

Finally, I am a very cautious rider, I pay attention to what and who is near. I have very limited trust in others, especially operators of vehicles and pedestrians. I consider my bike handling skills to be excellent, and have been told the same by others many times. As in anything, much skill depends not only on experience, but also on being prepared. I try to not have expectations, nor unexpected situations.
Likes For delbiker1: