Thread: Do you ever....
View Single Post
Old 02-27-20, 02:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked 3,064 Times in 1,894 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Let me clarify on that. Most of the time, at least 95%, I am a solo rider and not on a structured ride. I do not set out purposely to catch up to, or pass, anybody anymore. I am no longer offended or insecure when someone passes me. I have never been one to purposely set out to drop another rider. I have no problem with someone jumping on my wheel as long as I do not sense that they are doing something to impede me or affect my safety. If and when I ride with others, I will do my share of the work. However, there are times when the pace I am doing requires passing others. When I say I get a kick out of it if they give me a surprised look, I do not mean that I gloat or feel better. I am simply amused by it. When I get on others back wheel, I stay there only if I know I can keep that pace, but feel I am not capable of getting around them and keeping up that pace as the lead. Otherwise, I will jump up and take my turn setting the pace, or drop off. I have never had a bad reaction from another rider from that behavior. If I think others are trying to drop me, I continue on as long as it is a pace I can,and want to do.

Finally, I am a very cautious rider, I pay attention to what and who is near. I have very limited trust in others, especially operators of vehicles and pedestrians. I consider my bike handling skills to be excellent, and have been told the same by others many times. As in anything, much skill depends not only on experience, but also on being prepared. I try to not have expectations, nor unexpected situations.
I am sure that you are a cautious rider, but let's take the scenario where i am riding and a stranger gets on my wheel. I don't want them there. Why? Because when you are pulling for somebody, you are, consciously or not, taking some part of the responsibility for their safety - for upcoming hazards on the road or traffic. You can say to yourself that they didn't ask you for that responsibility, and therefore it's all on them, but that isn't fully true. If you steer clear of a hazard and then they crash, are you really going to shrug and pedal on? I do not want strangers on my wheel and when they do so, I slow or stop in a measured way to get them off my wheel. The reasons why I don't want to be on a strangers wheel are the same.