Old 03-04-20, 04:07 PM
txsurfer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Wow that's nice.
Can you tell us about your component choices. I'm thinking of building something similar. Thanks.
I wanted something a bit more appropriate for gravel and stumbled across an article about older frames, especially touring frames, being capable of taking a large tire and that got me thinking about that frame laying in a dusty corner of the garage.

Ahh, sorry about that! As I stated in the original post, it was a budget build, aka whatever I could find at the lowest price. I could have saved money hunting around garage sales or swaps but that takes too long, for me anyways. I did call an assortment of shops searching for used discarded parts but got a "nope" every single time. I really dont seem to have the bike shops in Houston that others have, or maybe their luck. Moving on!

I wanted to go 1x for simplicity, cost and some weight savings. This frame is Tange and is quite heavy and also influenced the "lets not spend a ton" thought. I thought about Microshift 1x10 groupset for awhile but ultimately settled on going Shimano 105 and just not hooking up a FD so I would have matching levers. I personally dont like the look of side exit shifters like Shimano 9spd and Microshift.

Frame/Fork:
1978 Miyata Liberty 56cm - Tange tubeset - suntour dropouts - Craigslist $60

Shifting:
Shimano 105 5700 10spd - Ebay $100 (also came with RD/FD and wolftooth roadlink)
Shimano Deore XT 9spd RD - Facebook $30
Shimano Cable set ~$20?

Brakes:
Tektro R559 Long Reach - Amazon $45
Shimano Cable Set - $14?

Cranks:
Couldnt use the originals because I was unable to find a narrow/wide chainring for that BCD anymore.
Origin8 - Amazon $50
RaceFace NarrowWide 40t chainring - $41
Chainring bolts - Amazon $9
KMC X10-116L Chain - Amazon $20

BB:
This is where things got fun. This frame has the rare? Japanese 70mm english thread BB. After some research, I decided 68 (UN-55) would be fine here but I was unsure of the axle length for the cranks and keeping the chainline correct for a 1x setup. After some careful measuring and incorrect guesses, I settled on a 68x113. However, my local shops did not have this in stock during the build, but they did have a 68x118 and a 73x113. After very careful measuring, Im current at the conclusion that the only difference in the sealed BB 68-73, was the longer left side cup to make it 73. All other measurements including the inside race of the cup and body of the BB are the same (I hope). So, I used the 73x113 body on a 68mm left side cup, works fine (again, I hope).
Shimano UN-55 68x113

Seatpost/Saddle:
Kalloy 26.4mm - Amazon $17
Specialized Toupe - Borrowed from another ride for the time being

Wheels:
Fulcrum borrowed from another frame. Replacing asap as they are only 17mm wide and I cannot seem to get the 37c tires to seat properly, even exceeding the max pressure by 25lbs.

Cassette:
Shimano HG50 11-36 - Amazon $39

The pedals are shimano 105 spd-sl and will be swapped for mtb as soon as I can find some decent used ones and shoes to match.

Last edited by txsurfer; 03-04-20 at 04:13 PM.