View Single Post
Old 03-09-20, 10:22 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I get the use on a downhill. Turns not so much.

My local single track is very twisting but generally flat to rolling. When I going thru the turns I stop pedaling briefly, but tend to start again right after a turn, then stop for the next, then pedal, etc..... When I’m pedaling I’d want the seat at the proper height for pedaling efficiency, not dropped down. And I would not want to deal with the post going up and down, up and down, etc....

So how can this be of use in turns ?
I have a trail by me like that, it's about 2 miles of just constant tight rights and lefts.
Try riding on your saddle and off to see how quickly you can react and make your bike navigate each turn. Notice how when off the saddle while making turns, the saddle gets in the way. The lower saddle positions helps you to separate you from the bike, which is what you'll eventually want to do. Riding off the saddle for extended periods will take time to build up, so expect fatigue. Also being off the saddle follows a simple rule of mtbing where you should have light hands and heavy feet. Meaning you ease off the grips and weight the pedals for better traction.