Old 02-05-06, 07:19 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Go take a look at the list of sports: http://www.ncaasports.com/. The only real surprises to me there are bowling, fencing, and rifle. However, take a closer look at bowling. It's women's bowling. Rifling still kind of baffles me, but its championship history goes back to 1980, so we're not talking about adding rifling to the NCAA menu in these times of decreased enrollment and budget cuts. The bowling history only goes back to 2004, but again, that's women's bowling. I'm sure that was just a move for "gender equality." Fencing sounds like an obscure sport, but it's actually more popular than you'd think.

To make money for the NCAA sports need to (a) get television coverage (b) get sponsorship or (c) make money off of admission fees. Cycling is not a spectator sport, so (a) and (c) are out. Could you imagine even charging the spectators $2 to watch a race? They'd laugh in your face. (b) could be a remote possibility if a company like Trek or Cannondale forked over huge amounts of cash to be "the official bike of the NCAA." But again, this raises issues for anyone who wants to ride in the summer.

Also keep in mind that not every university fields a team for every sport the NCAA has to offer. Most of the smaller universities carry the big ones like basketball and football, regional favorites like hockey, and whatever else can equalize the gender numbers. Even if cycling made it to the NCAA, you'd have a hard time pitching it to individual schools over something more gender-friendly like soccer or a growing TV possibility like lacrosse.

2. Come on, this is obvious to everyone but you. Even recreational cycling is male dominated, and racing is even worse. This issue is brought up in the article above. One of his goals is to get more women involved.

I'd love to see some official numbers as far as how many male vs. female cyclists were licensed in 2005, but I'm having a hard time finding anything.