Old 03-09-20, 10:50 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
https://flocycling.com/blogs/blog/fl...or-wider-wheel

I think you’d want to keep casing tension constant. This article seems to provide a guide on how to do that.
I read the article and plotted the data for pressure vs. diameter. It is very nearly a linear relationship. I think calculating the casing tension may be a more accurate way of determining the "pressure equivalency" I have been seeking. I had a gut feeling it was not a simple proportionality, e.g. the area of tire A 28mm tire=615.7mm2, area of tire B 44mm tire=1520.5mm2. A simple proportionality would say that a 28mm tire at 75 psi would be 30.4 psi in a 44mm tire: Tire pressure A* area of Tire A= Tire pressure B * area of Tire B, so in this case 75 X 615.7= x X 1520.5. Solve for x which give you the 30.4 psi for the 44mm tire. 1) it seemed too low, and 2) too simplistic. I think the casing tension may be exactly what I have been looking for and I will wade through the formulas with my figures. Thank you kindly.