Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores View Post
you can track the virus here:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
china seems to be getting a handle on it. wuhan has shut down the two emergency field hospitals they built. here in hainan, no new cases in more than two weeks, only two still in hospital. shutting down public transportation and enforcing quarantine appears to work. we'll see what happens as more factories and schools reopen. i wouldn't trust the thai numbers. their economy is highly dependent on (chinese) tourism and the junta is heavily dependent on chinese patronage. chinese tourists are still entering. last week 5000 illegal workers were deported from south korea, thailand failed miserably with the testing and quarantine upon return. hundreds ran away and still can't be located. as to numbers...........remember thailand has the highest traffic death rate in the world (excluding libya undergoing a civil war). they only count deaths on scene. deaths in the hospital, or in the ambulance on the way don't count in the statistic. i would assume their virus stats are equally bogus.
Thanks for the more detailed JHU COVID tracking site. It did not appear when I googled days ago.

I believe you on Thai traffic deaths - according to WHO they are in the top five worst countries for fatalities per capita, many being motorbike fatalities. USA is in the middle of the pack and Norway the lowest (for a bike-tourable country), which also has lots of free camping. Thailand also has relatively poor Air Quality, which is apparently under-measured and under-reported. Misrepresenting COVID would certainly not be unimaginable.

I expect airfares and motels are really cheap for the next several weeks. Airlines are forced to fly empty planes around in part to retain their slots at major airports (use it or lose it policies).