View Single Post
Old 03-17-20, 12:58 AM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
One Step Closer to “Almost Finished”

Originally Posted by Prowler
^^^^^^ That "fussbudget fiddling" is often the most creative and fun part of a build. I spend way too much time designing, fab'n and installing that stuff. Waddell, it's a hobby. I would not spend that much time if it was just a car.

Nicely done. I like those.

Still room for improvement: Long Cage

Long Cage-I finally got around to dealing with a niggling rear derailleur issue. When I started this New Albion build in 2017, I had accumulated many of the components before settling on a frame. In that was an old Campy VELOX r/d. Heavy yes, but actually with a nice function, and I really loved the red “C” bolt caps. But after it was running I found the VELOX lacked the chain wrap capacity and the throw adjustment necessary to handle 8 cogs. I couldn’t run the 28t and 26t cogs with the 44t and 48t chainrings. Irksome but not really a big problem. But still.... so in the interim I purchased a set of Soma long cage Campy conversion plates that effectively convert a Campy Nuovo/Super Record derailleur into a long-cage Campy Rally touring derailleur. Sat on the plates for a good couple of years though before finally trying them out. I took the Pat‘83 Nuovo Record from my ‘84 Bianchi, swapped the cages and installed it on the New Albion. Perfect! Shifts beautifully, looks great, chain wrap to spare, handles the throw for 8 cogs and keeps chain tension in the whole range. An ‘84 Nuovo Record is on the way to fill the hole left on the Bianchi.

Last edited by Goosecheck; 03-17-20 at 01:25 AM.
Likes For Goosecheck: