Old 03-31-20, 06:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked 6,427 Times in 3,700 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I had not known Schwinn had own seatpost in 1958, that is quite interesting.

Only way I know to find a Whitworth (or maybe it’s British Standard) that fits on a saddle clamp is to use an old Raleigh flat wrench. Which is better than nothing but too short and too sharp to do the job well. Good excuse to get a bigger Crescent. Or just get an Ideale 3. One of those would look good on this build. (Eddy Merckx used one, with wingnuts, so he could adjust saddle angle on the fly.)
Yep, SP, binder bolt, stem, HS, brakes. Wish it had the Schwinn hubs but by then they were Campy branded, supposedly the same but Schwinn branded before that,replaceable alloy flanges pressed onto steel barrels.

There are a couple of websites that have Whitworth wrenches and they are on efbay as well.

I have probably 20 "fit all" Cresent wrenches from 4in. to 24in. including a set of "Death Grip" Snap-on Flank Drive. They will snap bolts off before they let go so you have to be careful going there. I don't want to chew up this hardware so I will have to gather my Chi and finesse this carefully.

I assume the beeswax acts like anti-seize on the threads and carbon paste like on the clamping parts somehow?