Old 04-02-20, 01:41 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
That truss fork (OP's image) is, regardless of functional merit posited by whomever made it, ugly. Nothing says "I'm gonna rattle the teeth outta your head at every bump and rock!" like a bunch of extra metal on the front end.

The 11-42T and 10-50T cassettes are pretty out there, and, to no one's surprise, quite heavy! For road or near-road use, I find them unnecessary as it's a lot of trade-off in my eyes--elegance being the primary one. It's also about 1/2 a pound heavier a setup (11-42T 1x setup) after running some calculations with decent to upper level road and MTB component weights. Crank and chainring clearance are solid reasons for more off-road focused frame types, so I get that. MTB groupsets are Super Mech 5000 in looks, and I'm not a fan of bringing the BROOTAL look to road frames, unless that road frame looks like a battle wagon with some wheel/tire color composition attitude (Mad Max).

This modern groupset is not stupid, however:

Likes For RiddleOfSteel: