View Single Post
Old 02-06-06, 11:57 AM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Surprising a bent does not save much versus an aero tri bike. The tri aero position is within 1mph of bents and takes care of both the muscle training and low visibility issues with the bents.

It depends greatly on the bent and the type of terrain you are riding in. I might try renting a bent before you buy though. A faired bent can be a lot faster if your commute is flat and heavy crosswinds aren't an issue. I am much faster on my bent than my upright with aero bars primarily because I get more oxygen in the bent position and can hammer harder for longer with my bad back. So there are a lot of variables to be considered for sure. I am probably slower than Lance on my bent, but I am faster than myself on an upright in aerobars on it. If you have a lot of hills, I would not recommend a bent unless you have back problems (my back won't let me climb more than a few miles without going crazy but on the bent it isn't an issue so again I am faster as I eliminate a problem that previously limited me there but people without back problems will be faster in steep hills on an upright usually).