Old 04-04-20, 06:21 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy
Well, its one of those things that you learn to deal with, but for some reason my tube gets hole on the underside, where it faces the rim, and it happened for the third time in a month... Each time I checked the rim and the tape that covers the spokes - it looks totally fine. Also, I find holes on the underside, but different location each time (relative to the nipple). What could this be? I am using the correctly sized tubes, the tube is 700 35/43, and my tires are 700x38. Maybe I should use different brand tubes?
Was the hole visible?
Could it be just a bad tube? My niece called yesterday, wanted to go for bike ride on her new (bought last fall) bike. She had noticed a tire flat several weeks ago, took it in to the place where she bought it. They said it was fine aired it up and she took it home. A few weeks later now, tire flat again.
She brought the bike over, took off the wheel, put about 70# in it, submerged it and found tiny bubbles emerging from beneath the rim at one place. Marked that, took the tire off and inspected the tube there. Nothing at all visible. Tried submerging the tube but couldn't inflate it enough to cause the suspect area to stretch, what I think is defective material, to recreate the leak.
Out tire sizes are the same, but mine use Presta valves her's are Schrader. They had given her a small tire repair kit at purchase, that contained a spare tube. Installed that and she was on her way. I'm a little skeptical since I couldn't replicate the problem. So, since her backup tube is the same brand (Kenda) can't be sure her problem is solved.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 04-04-20 at 07:04 AM.