View Single Post
Old 04-05-20, 05:33 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Ignore list since you don't pay attention.
AWESOME -I'm on someone's ignore list. I guess it isn't clear when that I set up and adjust my truing stand every time I use it means that it is actually me following Park's instructions setting up the stand.

Originally Posted by cpach
Aside from compatibility concerns cheaper stands tend to be less rigid, so there's sometimes some inaccuracy when a wheel is first spun which stabilizes after a short moment. This slows down building a little. Other than that nicer stands adjust faster, and may have better abilities to measure dish. Also there's not a lot to TA compatibility--if the stand can open wide enough to fit the ends of the axle, you can always shove a 10mm wrench through the hub and tighten everything down. If you only build occasionally for yourself you can get away with a amateur quality stand and it will mostly effect speed rather than quality. I used to have an older version of https://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Porta.../dp/B008ENQ39W. My builds on it were solid, but I am happy to have a TS2 now, and use a TS 2.2 at work. Worked with a Products | Birzman for a while too--was a bit nicer than the Park, but no big deal really.
This is always the problem with inexpensive truing stands - if they flex they slow you down, and if the flex is bad enough you're not 100% sure if what you are doing is truing the wheel or compensating for a stand. That's where the higher end truing stands excel - they are solid. As much as I bash the centering of the Park TS-2.2 indicators the one thing it has going for it is solid when you're using it. Just don't trust the dish that comes out of it. And it would be nice if it had a separate roundness indicator.

I've used several of the low-end Minoura truing stands and even the bottom of the line ones are pretty good. They may not have all the features but they are usually pretty solid unit. I still have a fold-up Minoura truing stand that gets thrown in with the travel tool kit when I go places to ride.