Old 04-06-20, 11:14 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
The 20" folding bike as an example again - I am already seeing rim wear on that bike. I knew that was going to happen, but I didn't expect to see it as quick as I have. That is a bit of a learning experience, however I am not concerned with it now. As it progresses I will keep tabs on it and build a new wheel set when the time comes, unless the frame shows signs of fatigue etc then it might be more of a retirement/replacement of the whole bike. I hope not. My point, though - for loaded touring (on any bike) I wouldn't consider any kind of rim brake. My upright touring bike is a Disk Trucker. I weighed the pros/cons of both rim and disk and decided to go with disks. I'm glad I did - they handle hard stops with loads and still work well in the rain. Adding weight with anything (vehicle weight or gear weight, it all rolls on the same wheels) only exacerbates what the brakes do.

Between drums and disks - what is the downfall of disks that drums help with? I suppose I should clarify my perspective here - I am speaking solely in respect to bikes (pedal powered transportation), not motor cycles, cars, and trucks = traditional lever on a handlebar actuation that you find on normal bikes. For the most part that implies mechanical/cable actuation, as opposed to hydraulic, however I know there are bike-style hydraulic systems also.
"unless [until] the frame shows signs of fatigue". That will not happen. Frames don't show signs of fatigue. Not any you can determine anyway. They fail, or they don't. Folding bikes frequently fail before their time. Full size steel frames often outlive their owners. Aluminum frames as well. Rim brakes are not the devil. Rim brakes are still OEM on most models of 'road bike'. My most recent road bike purchase has rim brakes. So does our recent tandem. The rear brake was out on that tandem for awhile and the single front brake could easily stop 550lbs+ of Captain, Stoker, tandem, trailer, and trailer payload, on a downhill run. But a rim brake would be hard to use in a velomobile build, even if you wanted to. Drums vs disks is really up to preference. Just remember you are in a small, confined space with those brakes for company. Would you rather breathe the byproducts of the braking process directly, or have them contained by the structure of the hub?