Old 04-07-20, 08:02 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
They weren’t cutting us any of that kind of slack in the Detroit elementary school I went to. All of the World Series was played in the afternoons then; I remember tearing home as fast as I could run to try to catch the games from the 5th inning on.
It wasn't a big deal, we caught maybe two or three innings before dismissal bell. I only lived 3 blocks from the school, straight west on the sidewalk and hang a right, fourth house on the right. My dad always took vacation time off to paint our house during the series and watch those afternoon games.

His office crew had a pool for the series every year, he won the only time ever, on a Saturday afternoon game that Detroit took, 11-1, IIRC. We watched that one until the last out, never found out how much he won, probably a fiver at best. Baseball games were always watched back when it was not the wall to wall sports coverage that is crowding the channels now. Saturdays were Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese calling the afternoon game. Old Dizz Charcoal Briquettes were big sponsors. Mom fixed hot dogs for us every weekend, man I can taste them still.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-08-20 at 06:45 PM.
Likes For qcpmsame: