Old 04-08-20, 08:52 AM
RRAlategoer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by specialmonkey
When you say cone do you mean the metal inner circle of the cartridge bearing? With a threaded axle there, it may not be tight enough engagement (in the cartridge bearing) and the threads would almost certainly fold in on themselves.

If I could find spacers nominally 3mm narrower than the current ones (for each side) would that not give me a 126? I'm unsure about how this would affect the freewheel placement / dish, but think it should be OK still? Were 70s 10 speeds spaced for 120? I'd like a 70s Fuji (The Finest or Newest ).
I think you've got that back-to-front.
You need to ADD 2X3mm (or 6mm on the drive side as someone else said) spacers between the bearings and locknuts to make your 120mm OLN hub axle into a 126mm OLN axle, so it fits correctly between your frame's 126mm drop-out.
If you fitted 3mm NARROWER spacers as you have put, you would reduce the OLN to 114mm and your hub would rattle around in the frame as the rear stays pulled the axle apart (snap it) with the tension on it over the 1st bump in the road.
As an extra comment - I think one of the earlier contributers thought you meant you wanted to open your frame dropouts to 126mm, and showed diagrams of the misalignment this may cause and advised against it.
I think I'm correct that is not your plan as your frame is already 126mm spacing, it is your hub you want to increase the OLN from 120 to 126mm, so you can ignore them!
I hope this helps,
Regards,
Robin.