View Single Post
Old 04-09-20, 09:59 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jays35
I want to make a charging station for all my cycling lights and Garmin. I would like one location, where I park my bikes to charge all my electronic gear. Would you like to share pictures your charging stations? Thanks in advance!

Dave
How many devices are you wanting to charge?

With a 12v power supply you can get a few USB charging ports off of it pretty easy.

I have a combo 2-port USB and 12v auto accessory port that I use on my main bike at what ever point in time (swap between, depending on what I ride most). It was pretty cheap as I recall, not much more than $10-15 from Walmart. Blue Sea Systems (example here) makes some nicer ones with LED's and volt meters. On-the-go it keeps my tablet charged and I top off my Garmin and phone every once in a while. Some rides I leave the Garmin in (Edge 1000 with the usual weak battery issue). If I need more than the 2 ports I have a 3x USB auto accessory plug that I can run also. That gives me 5 ports with the same 12v supply. The nice thing is it isn't entirely an AC mains solution. The 12v power supply side is, however a 12v battery can be used portable on-the-go also - which is what I do on my day trips and most rides in general over 20 or 25 miles. Solar power is used to top off the 12v battery when I'm stopped for longer periods.