View Single Post
Old 04-10-20, 06:43 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb
It's funny you mention top tube length; after reading these posts yesterday and looking at some articles on frame geometry, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off with my top tube length, so I went out and measured the mid-90s MTB (a Novara) I had previously tried to convert to find that the TT was almost 2 inches longer than the seat tube. I assume that is contributing pretty significantly to what feels like a more forward/aggressive posture than I'd otherwise want?

Thats the trick with converting older MTBs. Usually better off with the mid 1980s than the 1990s. Top tubes over the years got longer and longer, making a conversion less viable. Always measure TT first. I find HUGE variation. Picking the RIGHT project is key.

Fortunately older rigid frame MTBs are so plentiful, that it is relatively easy to find one with the right TT for you.

I have my drop bar Cimarron set up right now, where the distance from the saddle to the handlebars is EXACTLY identical to my Schwinn Prologue. Saddle to bar height difference is the same too.