View Single Post
Old 04-10-20, 09:11 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 672 Posts
I just rebuilt my SunTour Perfect last night. I also like to use grease on the bearings. I used SuperLube. I've used other greases on past rebuilds. I have to qualify that I am not an expert. I am a pure amateur. But I do like my vintage freewheels, I am also thrifty, so I will spend the time to rebuild them. It is satisfying when they are back together again.

I, like Pastor Bob, put just enough grease to retain the ball in the races. But I also put a tiny dab on the pawl and use my finger to smear it around the ramp circumference. I also like the freewheel to be relatively quiet.

I noticed when I opened up the SunTour block last night that there was a dab of grease on and around the pawl.

I have a Shimano 5 speed that I am on the fence about rebuilding. I did the Flush and Dribble and the fluid coming out looked brown like rust. It is working and as many of you point out, even if it was bad, it only would be a factor when coasting. A SunRace 6 speed is less than $10, so it is tempting.

The other factor is that I would like to get the cogs off of the Shimano, but it has the little lockring and I don;t know how to remove that.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 04-10-20 at 09:54 AM.