View Single Post
Old 04-10-20, 01:53 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Ride a bike that is less appealing to thieves. "Urban camouflage," I call it. That's the option I used for my commuter bike. The bike doesn't have to actually be a piece of crap; it just has to look like a piece of crap to a bike thief. It worked well for several decades; now I'm retired.
I had a customer whose son was entering college, and he wanted to buy him an expensive nice new shiny bike to ride around the campus. I told him I would be delighted to sell him the bike because in two weeks he would be back to buy another after it was stolen. I suggested that he go to the local bike co-op near the college and find a good used 1980-1990 vintage Schwinn or Raleigh - one of those old "indestructable" steel bikes - and a basic cable lock. Preferably one that was a bit scuffed up. Nobody would steal it, the bike would get the boy around the campus just fine and would last until he graduated. Cost me a sale for that one bike but kept the future family business for mom & dad and the younger kids.

I have always assumed that if a thief really wanted the bike he would get it. The best you can do is make it more difficult.

Last edited by MNebiker; 04-10-20 at 01:55 PM. Reason: sp
Likes For MNebiker: