Old 04-14-20, 03:12 AM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
This is my Soulcraft Option 3. Made in 1999 by the guy who was head frame builder at Salsa when they sold to QBP in 1998. This is #018. Bought the frame from the contractor who helped them set up shop in Ross Shafers’ barn in Petaluma, Ca.

Let’s just say this has been one of my great bike loves. It started to fade a little over the years as it was eclipsed by a dual suspension, and then a 29er. It started to bum me out when I rode it, and that REALLY bummed me out. Last summer, riding it in Olympic National Park, I figured I’d ditch the suspension fork, add a basket and some swept back bars, and see what happened. It was one of those setups that came out perfectly right out of the gate. The bar position is just amazing. I commute on it, explore on it, go to the store on it.

I thought it would be good to post, not because it’s super-vintage, but because it was a good way to ditch a suspension fork that was sort of a turd. I see lots of hardtails on here that still have forks that were no fun when they were new; now they’re toast! I had an lbs order me this Carver for $70. I made sure the axle-to-crown measurement was in the ballpark, and it turned out great. And with all that uncut steer tube, I could get very upright, indeed!

going to have to look for a carver. Thanks for mentioning that name. Yeah, almost all the old suspension forks are turds.
Likes For ocsawdust: