Old 04-15-20, 07:36 PM
jdishner

Bikes: Schwin Paramount XL, 2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Ok, so I disappeared for a week or more while waiting for the parts to come in and then be installed. I went with the LBS in Rockland Maine (SideCountry Sports) which was a great choice - I am really happy with the entire experience there.

SO what I ended up doing was keeping my FSA crank and changing the front chainrings to 50/34 (down from the 52/36), a new 105 rear derailleur, chain, and 11/34 cassette (instead of 11/28). I've ridden it twice and I am really happy with it - I found that I am able to keep it in a harder gear while on the small front ring and either climb out of the saddle or just sit and climb easier. Even keeping it in the 34/28 is easier than what I had before as my lowest gear so basically I picked up another three or four easier low end gears that allow me to really slow down and just breathe while climbing, or go with a lot more aggression at hills because everything is a little easier. I was able to do a fairly long stretch slightly downhill with a tailwind and in 2nd to hardest gear ride at about 27mph at 100rpm. Overall this was the ideal solution for me, thank you to everyone who provided their opinions and advice, I appreciate all of it.
Likes For jdishner: