View Single Post
Old 04-17-20, 09:07 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 80sTourist

So, can anybody suggest a floor pump that actually works on this European crap? By that I mean, it seals quickly, easily, and completely to the valve, without my having to sweat and grunt and force for fifteen minutes; doesn't snap off that darling little valve stem; pumps air into the tire; pumps more air into the tire than it lets out of the tire; and finally, releases from the valve quickly and easily, requiring less effort than it takes to bang the back of my hand so hard against the spokes that I can't close my fingers for a week.
Get a Kuwahara Hirame pump head. They have adjustable tightness, the long arm provides a lot of leverage, and they're a pleasure to use.

Related question: could there be, somewhere on the planet, a pump with a Presta valve head that actually screws on to the stem, using threads such as screws (and Presta stems) have, rather than jamming and cramming and forcing and pounding? Because such futuristic technology would probably solve most of the above problems.
The Lezyne chuck screws on, then unscrews removable Presta valve cores if they're not tight.

Finally: it would be great if the theoretical pump cost less than a new set of wheels. If you get my drift.
Kuwahara pump heads are expensive but cost less than wheels provided you're not spending $25 each on amazon.com.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-17-20 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt: