View Single Post
Old 04-17-20, 10:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 1,241 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe

Steve, why cannot your Garmin do turn by turn? I tried mine the last time we went to Glacier using a file I loaded from GarminConnect, but the turn by turn feature kept freezing up and "returning" to a point I had long since passed, while the map kept scrolling properly. I assumed at the time that it was a problem with the file as I have not had any similar issues when I've used it on the road.

Bethpage trails tomorrow and then back to work.

PS. If you like Glacier for its "flow", try Manorville Hills.....
Not sure about why no TBT. I've used TBT extensively on road rides, works great, like out in Manorville. It was a route generated in Trail Forks. They have better descriptions of trail names on that site and CLIMB uses this, so in theory easy to generate a route. Then you save online, use the Garmin TF iQ app on the device to download the route (that worked), start the ride and start navigating. It showed me where I'd been (blue trace), where I was (arrow) and where the route went (purple line), just no TBT directions. No clue why and I'd have to do it again to find out what's not working. As I think back, at GR you have to pay attention to the trail thus maybe wasn't looking at the screen much (at all) to see a pop-up notification. Easier to follow when on a road bike, harder to do when mt.biking and you really need to pay attention to the trail features, and then "Voila !" you're at a junction, where the map clearly showed which way to go. I'll try a route in RWGPS next time I go back.

Yes, Manorville is next. The RWGPS app shows it's maybe slightly less hilly, but in truth I had no issues with the hills at GR, they come quick and are over in a hurry (except on long grade on White Ghost).