View Single Post
Old 04-17-20, 07:23 PM
kaiserschmarrn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Your pants inseam is not the measurement that counts; rather, it's the height from the bottom of your pubic bone to the floor when you're not wearing shoes. If you hit the top tube on your 58 CM Pug, I'd consider it too big for you.

Did you ride the Emonda? How was it? With short arms and legs, longer torso, and a sloping top tube, the smaller frame may or may not be better for you than a bigger bike.

Very few of us can get a perfect fit off the rack. I've owned and ridden bikes with diamond frames of 50, 54, and 58 CM. I came down hard on the top tube on the 58, so that went. I felt cramped on the 50 - an over reaction to the accident on the 58. The 54 is best - but I, too am longer in the torso than average, and my particular 54 has a 56 CM TT, which is great with a 11 CM stem. But I've had my 54 since 1981. If I were buying a diamond frame today, a 52 or 53 would probably be best, still with a 56 CM TT. You don't see many of those coming of assembly lines. If you rode the Emonda, and it felt like a good fit, it may be a compromise that works, even though it may not be an exact fit as it is.
Thanks for the help. Initially, just for quick reference, I used my pants inseam, but did measure as you say, for the calculations. I do distinctly remember riding my Peugeot, stopping, and having to stand on my toes. I will know for sure tonight, as I just got tires and have gotten it down and inside. Due to Corona, no bike shop here is right now allowing test rides (that I am aware of). Maybe not the best situation, but I did it and it is done. I did get to sit on it. though, and it seemed to fit. I was just led astray by the fact that I thought I was taller and needed a bigger frame, then found that I got a 54cm. My judgement is also being manipulated by the fact that I have so many miles on that 23" frame, so that it seems that it is normal and that the 54cm seems small, when in fact it isn't. When I swung over it and stood, there was just a little clearance between my crotch and the top tube just ahead of the saddle, which was a nice feeling. All of the measurement charts and calculations that I have found point me to a 54cm.

My wife will be soon buying a bike. As an eample, she is 5'4" with a 29-1/2" inseam. I am 5'8-3/4", over 4" taller than her, but with an inseam only 1" longer than her at 30-1/2".

Danny
​​​​

Last edited by kaiserschmarrn; 04-18-20 at 06:42 AM.