View Single Post
Old 04-18-20, 09:04 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
The only question is, what's the motivation?

Sometimes it seems a poster decides they are the MC party host of the forum and feel the need to continually create interesting topics of discussion, even if they have no relevance to anything the are doing IRL. Sort of harmless in a sense but a little wearisome in the long term as regular members realize all the information they are writing is sort of wasted effort. That's why some threads by them quickly devolve into nonsensical free for alls. People stop taking the questions seriously.

Others just like to stir up argument. They start threads they know will create confusion and disagreement. A part of forum life I suppose. I understand it in a sense but never really get why. I like biking and hang out on a biking forum so I can talk about biking. Even if I argue about certain points they all relate to my experiences biking. I couldn't imagine hanging out on a knitting forum to stir up controversy so I could watch random knitters argue. Ultimately, the trolls always wind up sounding ridiculous so I don't see the pay off.

Over the years, one of the best tip offs to such continued behavior in specific sub forums has been the decided lack of pictures to accompany posts. They usually hide in anonymity. Sometimes they try to rip images off the net to claim as their own but that's a pretty easy catch with google image search. We've had some weird ones in touring. Some funny, some sad.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 04-18-20 at 09:08 AM.