Old 04-19-20, 02:08 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
My oldest sister taught me how to ride a bike in just a few hours one afternoon. I remember really wanting to ride a bike. I think I was 6 but no older than 7. We had a old JC Higgins from Sears that we all used to ride, it had small 20" wheels on a girls frame. My parents were against kids using training wheels and I remember a kid in my neighborhood that would not ride once the wheels were off. I have 3 sisters and two brothers, all of us rode that bike and then received new bikes at Christmas. Of my 3 sisters, even the oldest that taught me how to ride was never a lover of bikes, another would ride once in a while for social reasons and one of my sisters never learned how to ride at all although she was given a new bike for Christmas one year.

Originally Posted by 33yearslate
Yea, this is kinda how I taught myself. I lowered the seat all the way, sat on it, and used my legs on the ground to scoot myself forward rather than pedals for the first hour. Then kept attempting to have that same balance with the pedals until I got it. I think it took about 3 hours altogether... but it was another few days before I got comfortable.

Today, I took the bike out and left the cul de sac! Got lost in some side streets (in a good way) and then found a hill. Biked all the way up on a lower gear and then zoomed down the other side. It was awesome. Hills are fun. And I felt confidant taking turns even at higher speeds.

It's a great feeling.
I have some hills on my street and in my township that if you were to try them you would not say it was "fun". A challenge maybe but in no way fun.