Old 04-20-20, 01:13 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I got my fist triple chainring bike 2 years ago and I've been riding double's for 45 years. My fist double on a 1970's 10 speed racer was pretty cool. By switching chainrings there was a 1/2 step between each cog of the 5 speed cassette giving full use of all 10 speeds. My 2'nd bike, a mountain bike came was a 2 x 6 speed. It was almost useless in so much that 5 of the 6 gears were pretty much redundant. All this double did was give me 7 widely spaced gears instead of 6.

I'm very happy with the 3 x 7 triple though on my 2018 Giant Sedona. When I first got the bike I kept it on the middle chainring most of the time. Later I experimented with switching chainrings frequently and combining both chainring and cassette changes simultaneously. To my surprise even on this entry level comfort bike, with a little patience it shifts flawlessly. I've learned to make the triple chainring my friend and it rewards me by making all my rides very satisfying thanks to it's wide range, The ability to change 4 - 5 gear steps either way almost instantly (by switching from my 28 to 38 ring and a cog or 2 on the cassette at the same time), and being able to keep it on the middle ring for 90% of my riding if I choose.

As far as being bulky, It is just slightly bulkier then a double chainring. Truth be told I didn't want either for that reason, I love the simplicity of a single chainring but couldn't find one with the proper spacing for my needs on a comfort bike.Triple chainrings, Like the "MeGARANGE" cassette's (with a 24 - 34T low gear jump) used on many entry level bikes can be your friend once you learn how to take advantage of the options they present.

Happy cycling!

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 04-20-20 at 08:45 AM.