Old 04-20-20, 07:50 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Your assumptions are wrong. A triple isn’t only for a “weaker rider” nor is it only for “beginners”. With more than 40 years of riding under my belt, I’m neither and every bike I own has a triple that gets used on a regular basis. Sometimes it’s used while touring because these kinds of roads hove into view

IMGP1741 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

the road in the first picture was a 10% grade and the second one is a 25% grade at 12,000 feet. In both situations, I was carrying all the gear I needed to camp and eat. The second picture was taken about 12 miles into a 40 mile day and was taken the day after covering 50 miles that was a mixture of pavement and dirt. The current mountain bike doubles would have meant that I would have had to coast over much of the distance on both days. I still spend a lot of time coasting but I can get up to a higher speed with a triple than I could with the mountain double.

If you don’t want to use a triple, don’t! But don’t tell people that if they use triples that they are weak or beginners. I could have done both trips on a double and just HTFU and/or just walk all the hills. Or I could use the tools available to me and have actually ridden the hills. I chose the latter...not because I’m weak or new but because I’m smart.
Not assumptions but rather the rider and their ability given the gearing they need. Saying one is wrong on such a subjective matter is an assumption.

Look, its not about what one person sees what all should ride but rather your geographical location and gearing needed. I have climbed 16% grades on traditional double gearing, compact double and triple. Yes, triple helps alot, but like some I chose to simplify the equation with a double. Not a weight issue but less gearing to worry with and all the while made me stronger on those climbs.

That is why I love this discipline, choices.