Old 04-20-20, 08:24 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
The only question I have for the climbing warriors is in your opinions, (having experience with triples and compact doubles), did the easier small ring selection on the triples keep you from developing as a climber? That is, over reliance on easier gears can be a bad thing if you are still growing as a climber. At 56 y/o I think I can get much better at climbing and find myself staying in the 50 chain ring longer and the middle cogs longer than before when climbing.
Of course, I am speaking of road cycling and not MTB or loaded touring. 12%+ grades are another matter and I could see where a small ring (24-28) would be welcomed.
Having the option of a few lower gears has very little to do with whether or not a person develops into a strong climber. If anything, having the awareness that you can go lower if needed helps relax the mind and the breathing during the climb. From this comes strength and confidence.

So someone wrote here that having “bailout” gear tempts one to use it more frequently than necessary which greatly slows your ascent up steep hills. I guess I can see where this might be an issue. Also, the idea that while ascending in too low of a gear your fatigue level at the top of the climb is the same as if you had pushed a heavier gear. To me these are definitely issues that get worked out on their own as your season progresses and you pass the first 800-1,000 miles of the year. Losing weight and properly using your upper body strength to alternate between standing and seated spurts makes climbing more dynamic and shifts muscular fatigue around.

Honestly, partly why I favor my triple road bike in our moderately hilly river region here is 1) I can run a close ratio racing cassette 12/23 nine speed in order to get more 1 tooth jumps to allow minor pace line riding and 2) standing excessively early in the season is a bit harsh on the knees not to mention the bike. Once again I am chasing down a mystery click in the crankset region of my Dura Ace 7803 triple crank. I’ve never had a problem with my external bottom bracket but I’m beginning to wonder what the practical lifespan is for a Shimano external bottom bracket. While I’m still sorting this issue, I can quiet the ticks by keeping in the saddle longer on climbs. So I’m saving wear and tear on my body, and my bike.

My “climbing” bike has a 53/39 double crank with a 12/25 ten speed cassette. It is a more compact frame with a longer stem (130mm) and the bike is 3 pounds lighter. The smaller frame with the longer stem really makes the cockpit less claustrophobic to the knees and such to support longer out of the saddle intervals. I do have to get into a rhythm while standing to climb then sit when my heart rate gets too tachy. I did have increased anxiety at first that steep hills would be a bit of an embarrassment with this traditional road double, but somehow I still do OK with it.

Last edited by masi61; 04-20-20 at 08:40 AM.
Likes For masi61: