View Single Post
Old 04-21-20, 06:13 PM
gravelslider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
Start by finding retailers in your area that carry what you want, and go for some test rides. If you're seriously looking at Salsa, try the Journeyman 650b Sora dropbar bike, and the flat bar version, back to back. I wouldn't spend much time evaluating he Claris versions personally. The Sora units are worth the cost, and I'd go 650b out of the box. Clearance for a 2-1/8" tire is a nice feature. You can pick up a 700c wheelset, should you choose to, later.
This is good advice. Also you should put the Jamis Renegade A1 or A2 on your list as I feel t is a bit more value for what you spend. I definitely would go for a Sora above the Claris group as it is a big step up for just a little money more dough. Ride 20 miles on the Claris and you will instantly be willing to pay a little more for the upgrade to Sora. The low end Revolt is good (though really crappy tires, may as well be solid rubber), but I would put the Jamis above it slightly as Jamis really has even the low end gravel category really nailed.