Old 04-21-20, 07:25 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
I will let everyone know if I decide to go ahead. I’ll be on the phone with them this week. Yes, it’ll be the Di2 Dura Ace. I have a Giant Defy 0 and a Trek Domane 6.2, both fitted with Ultegra Di2, so I’m sold on electronic shifting. I’d like to try SRAM eTap, but afraid the shifting pattern would confuse me as I’m always back and forth on bikes.

I’m wondering how different the Canyon would be from the Giant (I’d also go for the medium, given my experience with stack and reach). Disk brakes, slightly nicer drivetrain, perhaps a bit smoother in the saddle (and the 28s will be far different than the 23s I’m running on the Giant). But the Giant has been a heck of a bike for the $$.

I’m also contemplating another Domane, the SLR with Dura Ace Di2. This would be on top of the Canyon.

I’ll do the Domane as a P1 and really do up the paint in honor of what may be my last road bike. Go out with a bang! And with a price to match...

As for size, your bike (gorgeous color, btw) looks like it’ll fit me just fine!
Funny you should say that -- the Trek Domane was going to be my last bike, assuming that next would be something motorized I could putter around on at the old folk's home!!!

I was looking at the Domane SL 5. But the fact is that from a component perspective, the Domane and my Canyon were nearly identical. The Trek might be a bit heavier, and on the Domane Trek has that little tool storage thing in the down tube. But (and this is a big but) the Trek was $1000 more expensive than the Canyon. Sure I'd have a LBS to work with, but I'd also pay 7% Fla. sales tax on that Trek, meaning it would actually be $1200 more expensive. I just couldn't get the value proposition of Trek, at the level of bikes/components I was considering.

And here's another thing. Everyone has a Trek. Or a Specialized. And I do see some Giants. But Canyon is unique. I'd looked at Orbea because I've heard a lot of good about them, but the local dealer is handcuffed, cannot get bikes from Spain, for who knows how long. So to me the Canyon is not something you're going to see every day. In my riding I've seen 2...

Good luck with your decision. At the trim level you're looking at, you can't go wrong with either bike. I am still a loyal Trek fan (and have a Trek MTB) but I'm happy to be on a Canyon.
Likes For davethelefty: