GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpyracoon
Hi folks,

I currently ride an Hybrid and a XC MTB. I am planning to start some road cycling in the summer. Nothing too racy: more endurance/sportif stuff. Idea is long distance.

At the moment I am looking at some possible buys, but it is kinda challenging. I have a 0.435 inseam/height ratio, so looking at the bike geometries it seems I will have some trouble with the fit. Canyon bikes for example recommend me a XS frame due to my inseam and a M frame for my height.

I understand I should visit stores and perhaps a local fitter to have a proper feeling of what would be a good buy, but with this COVID situation, things are complicated. I am trying to use this time to narrow down my options.

So, two questions:
​​​Do you have any recommendations for folks with short legs / long torso? Looking at geometries online and comparing with my hybrid, it seems that Cube Attain , Giant Contend, Canyon Synapse would fit me. Racy frames wouldn't fit me well. (stack would be way too low). Some endurance frames also would be challenging (Canyon for example. Standover height and seat tube length). Would compact frames / sloping tubes be a good bet?

2. It seems a lot of the gravel bikes would have a reasonable fit from a geometry point of view. Specialized Diverge, Cannondale checkpoint, Giant Revolt, to name a few. I like the idea of riding gravel, but I really will be using this on tarmac most of the time. Anyone riding a gravel bike with road tyres and wheels? Any particular problems or downsides? Recommendations of gravel bikes that also deliver a good experience on tarmac?

My budget would be something from 1500 to 2500 USD.

Many thanks!
I have the same ratio. I am 5' 10.5" and it is difficult. Calculate what reach you want and what stand-over you need. Look at bikes with sufficient stand-over and best reach match. A bike with a sloped top tube will give you more options. You can fiddle with stem length to dial in the reach. I would go with slightly smaller size than too large myself.

I am very comfortable on my 56cm Specialized Roubaix geometry and also an older (2016) Diverge (not quite as comfortable). When I researched the Roubaix geometry it was between a 56cm and 58cm. The geometry was such that they both had the same reach but the 58 had a larger stack, so the main result of going larger would have been reducing my saddle to bar height, which I did not want to do as you can't fix that.

Have 32mm on my Diverge, These can be slightly slower than the narrower tires, depending on the tire, but they also provide a better ride. You can always get a good road oriented tire, so I wouldn't let that factor in

Last edited by GeneO; 04-22-20 at 10:43 AM.