Old 04-23-20, 08:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6242 Post(s)
Liked 4,253 Times in 2,385 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Your example of shifting from the 17 was stupid.
This is the second time you have called me stupid. Your need to be insulting just shows how poor your arguments are. I don’t question your intelligence and I expect the same from you.

The example I used is the same independent of which chainring/cog combination is chosen. By your own admission.

You picked this example to support your flawed analysis. Your idea that a 2 cog shift is hunting is also ridiculous. I make the same 2 cog shift, after nearly every chainring shift and it works perfectly. With Campy shifters, it's a 1 second event.
Your need for two shifts is the very definition of hunting. There is also no better example of a hole in the shift pattern than a need for a two cog upshift after a downshift. A shift pattern without holes wouldn’t require an upshift after a downshift. Triples aren’t perfect but the jump is much smaller and doesn’t usually need any upshift to adjust for cadence.

.... The compact gearing works fine and there is no hunting. In the mountainous terrain that I ride looks mean nothing. Gear changes are done by feel. I ride some roads that look to be level but aren't, due to the way they are carved out of a mountain.
Then what do you call a 2 cog upshift that you do every time you shift?

Gear changes are not just done by feel. They are a combination of feel and looking at the road. I ridden in Colorado my whole life and I don’t just look down at my wheels when I ride. Large and steep climbs don’t get any easier if you don’t look at them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!