Old 04-23-20, 12:20 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Surprised this one hasn't already sold. It's been the best thing listed under $200, and it's in that perfect, medium size.

Any idea what are those black calipers? What was the frameset tubing?
The brake calipers look like Dia Compe Royal Gran Compes or similar word salad name from them. Single pivots. The colors of this Allez screams 1996 Allez SE, as does the crankset. Though the graphics are wrong, and there's a lot of Suntour Sprint.

Mid-post edit: I have found it! A (1987 according to one) Allez SE. Suntour Sprint 9000 components throughout (very nice and quite rare as a group), with Dia Compe Royal Gran Compe brake calipers and levers. Someone has obviously messed around with the cockpit on this one, sadly, but the rest remains.

Tubing is their own blend of DB chromoly, just like my '85 Allez SE, except mine was a "racing" blend where they found some extra lead to put into it. A semi-educated guess is that this frame, fork, and headset weigh 3200g or so all together. Not bad, but a pound heavier than a true top flight frameset. The good thing is on these Specializeds, is that they are still extremely good riders, climbers, and handlers. They just feel a little more solid...

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 04-23-20 at 12:24 PM.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: