MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by michigan0626
Hello,

I am looking at buying a bike to get in shape (350 lbs) and spend more time with my son. Being really fat means I need a strong bike. So yesterday I went to a couple LBS's. One box store girl recommended the Verve 2. The other shop suggested the Electra Townie. Looking online last night I saw somewhere that they recommended a touring bike because they are overbuilt tanks.

I am trying to stay near that $500 mark so that if i don't enjoy it i won't be too much money. So this has me looking used. Prices I am seeing are a lot higher than bicycle blue book. 😳

I found a used Fuji Touring for $450 with a small frame. Fuji size guide says 5'3" to 5'7". I'm 5'8" with only a 28-29' inch seam. Would this be okay to jump into?

Should I be looking into certain brands? Or different style of bikes completely?
I like the idea of touring bike as such a bike is purpose built for loaded touring which means it can handle you unloaded.

So, examples of good touring bikes
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Trek 520
Salsa Vaya.
Kona Sutra.

There are many others. As for size, at 5'8", 54 cm should be pretty close. 52 cm will likely be too small and 56 or bigger, too large.
Alternately, you could look for a used hybrid or mountain bike. If you go that route, look for one without suspension forks, as used ones can be problematic. And put slick or semi slick tires on it.

One more thing. In general, do not ride on the sidewalk. Sidewalks are dangerous places for cyclists as you have to deal with pedestrians, dogs, and cars pulling out of driveways or turning, and they are not looking for cyclists riding at 10 to 15 mph, so they often times will not see you until it is too late.