View Single Post
Old 04-24-20, 11:55 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
The OP needs to consider rise and reach changes. Mine has 2 1/4" rise, quite necessary.

Bolt upright, seeker333 ?? WTF is that?? Only happens when I used to ride with one or NO hands. I used to try figure out the speed difference. I concluded it was .2 mph with one arm tucked around to my back pocket. LOL I don't think it made much diff either when I was going 3.6 mph into a 30 mph headwind. Only steep downhills and peletons make any diff at all. IMO
I have ZERO miles with drops. IF they are sooo great, then why did 95% of Boomer 10 speeds get garage ABANDONED by the second year?? LOL
I'm still using the comfort style kind of bars, with 70d sweep, I got on my 1974 Raleigh. My first tour going UP Vietnam into the wind, I was bending over a lot and it was MISERABLE. I raised the bar 30 mm the second trip to Oregon and had NO neck, knee or backache at all. My most often position has my left hand on the grip and RH on the bend, that has no tape.
NO bar will eliminate numb hands or bum. THe 5x RAAM champ had hands still numb days AFTER the race was over.

As for bar width I have used 48cm center, 50 cm and 51.5. I liked 50 cm the best, but it broke and was goofy 15/16" clamp anyway.
Some of those other Jones and Nitto's are way too wide for my taste.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-25-20 at 08:45 AM.