Old 04-26-20, 10:03 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm more in the camp of folks who say, "If the class of persons I belong to has a consistent health issue, then something we're all doing must be causing it. And thus if there's something which I can do to possibly ameliorate that issue, I'm going to do it." I'm not going to just give up and die without trying to do something about it, i.e. not going to wait 10 years for the results of a study to come out with results one way or the other. I don't see an alternative explanation for the phenomena other than this model. Thus I don't think that one's blood calcium level sitting in the doctor's office has much to do with anything. In fact, this is the very error which led us down this path of self-injury.

Cyclists aren't the only folks to lose mineral bone density through currently unexplained mechanisms. Iraq and Afghan war veterans are also plagued with this problem. So far their attorneys have attempted to say this is due to vaccinations or exposure to various chemicals, no mechanism ever being explained. Here we have one. Here's a study of military recruits having their bone loss during training reduced by calcium and vitamin D supplementation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...?dopt=Abstract
pretty much the same as the cyclist study I linked to. I'm sure that this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of bone loss through sweating. For too long this has been wrongly attributed to non-weight bearing exercise.
1. it's a hypothesis, yet you already concluded that you don't see any other possiblilty for bone loss to happen except to accept the hypothesis (which is unproven).
2. are you a subject matter expert in exercise and bone density?

Now let's discuss the military (Navy) recruit article you posted. There are serveral things to be mindful of this study:
1. it's a study consisted entirely of females, and well, females menstruate, which causes a lot of things to happen to the body, i.e, hormonal and mineral changes
2. The study mentions nothing about sweating, nothing about exercise intensity, and nothing about potential cortisol levels due to stress
3. The study states using Ca and vit D supplementation reduces bone fracture incidence by 20%. However, this also means that in 80% of the bone fracture cases, giving Ca supplementation does nothing to prevent bone facture

it is a stretch to use this Navy study to conclude that:
1. sweating causes the depletion of bone density to the extent that it would cause bone fracture
2. that using Ca supplementation would stop or reverse bone loss for an endurance cyclist

I'll repeat, be really careful about over interpretating studies.

Last edited by aclinjury; 04-26-20 at 10:14 PM.