Old 04-29-20, 10:41 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First concern must be communication ability. I will not ride where there is not adequate cell phone coverage and will never ride alone without a cell phone with location active.

Why? Heart attack while cycling to work and life was saved by the cell phone and being able to call for help. I could not move my legs, body felt fine, no pain but suddenly just quit. This was not hitting a wall.
This was back in 2010 and it was the LAD demon. I have thought much about what the trigger might have been., I was feeling great that morning and was running a wonderful ride, really buzzing alone and
a hormone high. Went under a MPP underpass and started up a slight 400 foot elevation gain, when it stopped. I was able to get to top of hill, but no further. I didn't know it was a heart attack at first but
finally figured it out. Several stents latter, continued with post cardiac meetings and because of the cycle conditioning, recovered well.

Fast forward to last year, Cardio had fallen off and second heart attack. This time felt pressure, a normal symptom. Listend to body and said call 911 immediately.
Before the shutdown I was in cardio rehab with KP and I was suprised how cautiously the Dr was about heart training. His emphasis were:
-- cycling is not enough, need arm work outs also, aka schwinn air cycle
-- workout at least 30 minutes and best if workout 50 minutes
-- any exercise longer than 25 minutes straight does not give additional benefit. Better to roll into another day
-- workout at least 3 days a week and best if 4 or 5, but no more
-- at the slightest feeling of discomfort, i.e. heavy breathing, gasping, dial back IMMEDIATELY

I have fitbit for my HR monitor and comparing with medical HR monitor on body with stick on sensors, the fitbit was about 10 BPM slow. Also found HR monitors at gym treadmills were off by about 10%.
Conclusion use HR number as a guideline and not a law.

Hope this helps. With the shutdown I have returned to cycling and it's hard to keep it dialed back, but slowly working my way back and I hope you can stay strong.