Old 04-30-20, 12:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
My best trick is to avoid falling down. Usually I'm pretty successful. Except for that puddle a month ago. My ribs were unhappy for a few weeks.

I think the only thing I do that's different from most roadies I know is I carry more stuff. I try not to be a touring packrat, but I do carry a few things most folks seem not to, all of which have been useful at some time (mostly for under-prepared fellow cyclists):
  • mini-pump and CO2
  • aluminized Mylar emergency blanket
  • spare quick link
  • emergency asthma/allergy meds in my saddle bag (I've shared those with friends too)
  • spare Mylar packet of Drip-Drop emergency electrolyte mix (pricey but works better than anything else I've tried, including NUUN)
  • multi-tool with chain and spoke tools (the Hero-Kit is one of the flattest complete multi-tools and only $20)
All that stuff will fit even in my dinky Lezyne Road Caddy, so it doesn't seem like I'm hauling a trailer of spares. And my small Serfas Speed Bag wedge back has room to spare besides all that junk.

I don't wipe my tires on the fly anymore. Too risky and tires are so much better now they don't seem to flat as often as ye olden dayes of the 1970s. I mostly ride cheap Continental Ultra Sport II and, on my old steel bike, Conti Grand Prix Classic skinwalls. No Gatorskins. They work fine. As other folks noted, usually if we're gonna flat it'll be immediately after rolling through glass. A friend tried to do the shoe-wipe thing a year or so ago. Ended up with yet another broken shoulder. Another reason I don't do that anymore. If I'm concerned enough I'll pull over and check the tires.

Lessee... I have an old HEPA recirculating air fan/filter that I use to dry my shoes, wallet, keys, etc., after a ride. Everything else goes on the shower curtain with a fan blowing to dry 'em quickly in case I don't have time or energy to wash that kit immediately. Prevents mildew on top of the sweat funk.

I use Tide Ultra or comparable Gain (same corporation now) to wash everything. Doesn't need any laundry additives or tricks. Give the enzymes 20-30 minutes to soak in lukewarm water and it'll get rid of any sweat funk and most stains.

And I use Palmolive dish soap with lactic acid (supposedly a good anti-bacterial) on my gloves so they're clean, dry and ready to go the next day. Takes about the same amount of time as washing my hands.

Last edited by canklecat; 04-30-20 at 12:32 AM.
Likes For canklecat: