Old 04-30-20, 12:02 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 325 Posts
We Can Have More Control Over Road Safety

Over in General, a few of us have been having fun with a photo scavenger hunt. The last posting was of a ghost bike, and in the course of the thread, I had posted (incidentally) a picture of a roadside memorial. I feel compelled to comment but that thread is not the place to do so. (A ghost bike is a roadside memorial to a cyclist who was killed at that place.)

Roadside memorials, like crosses and ghost bikes, are a reminder of the importance of road safety by all users.

In many things, there are limits to what we control. We can all lose family and friends at any time. Two days ago, a close friend passed away from cancer, and as I spread the word, another friend replied that he was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer a month ago. There is no vaccine for most cancers, and no "prevention" for many.

A vaccine for COVID-19 is in the future, but for now the only thing in my control is to limit my family's exposure to the extent we can.

Roadside memorials sadden me because we (all of us) could have so much more control over that cause of death, over 30,000 per year in the United States, with the much bigger tragedy being the seriously injured and permanently maimed.

Many will comment that "it's the other guy". That doesn't go far enough for me. Obviously, I shouldn't be "the other guy" (impaired, drowsy, too fast for conditions). There have been times when I have been and I was lucky and I know I will be tempted in the future. The roadside memorials help me resist temptation.

In the United States, we hand out driver's licenses at a young age. It isn't a very good vaccine to begin with, and very few people ever get a booster shot. I've taken some booster shots and I'm on the lookout for more. Some examples:

As a cyclist, I’ve taken the “Smart Cycling” class (organized by a local club) twice. And I’ll take it again in a few years because I’ll need a refresher. It keeps me thinking about how to be a safer cyclist.

For me, the Smith System is very helpful in improving my driving. https://www.drivedifferent.com/

A good series of motorcycle safety videos is at MCrider: Online Motorcycle Safety Course. I think about half his content applies to all road users, not just motorcyclists, as much of his emphasis is on road strategy. A great example video can be found at http://www.mcrider.com/mental-approa...cle-episode-7/ , which I think presents a compelling case for improving personal skills and strategies.

Look at that next roadside memorial with a bit of humility. It could be you, a family member or friend in the future. Seek out a "booster shot" to give you more control over your safety and that of the road users around you.

Last edited by flangehead; 04-30-20 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add definition of ghost bike, fix link.
Likes For flangehead: