Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by joel1952
Debating whether cantilevers are "fine" or "a viable option".is fine for experienced riders who are willing to ride with wholly outdated brakes.

The OP asked a noob question. He wants to tour, not ride around the block. He could find himself on a 2 mile long 6% decent.. He asked if he should upgrade. Under the circumstances, it would be irresponsible to tell a noob that he is ok with cantilevers.
joel1952...I never asked if I should upgrade... I wanted to get opinions about disk brakes to see what people who tour feel about them. I am fairly new to touring but I don't consider myself a noob as you put it. Maybe the question is a noob one to you but I don't think you and I are on the same page. I have a bike with cantis and I've never toured with a fully loaded rig. I think my bike is good for the area I'm cycling in and I'm a curious person. It seems that most of the people here agree on canti's being good for the job. I would like opinions from experienced riders and here is a forum full of them.

I don't think that disk brakes are as great as you think they are. They may not work well in colder climates or at high elevations. Cantis will. There is a fair amount of adjusting for disk brakes and as people have noted they can be difficult to contend with when changing a flat. The world isn't as black and white as I feel you think it is. Disk brakes may be the popular choice now but they're not perfect. Maybe it's a generational thing but I'm comfortable adjusting cantis and they worked for mountain bikes I rode on without problems.

I look forward to hearing your input on various topics and hope to glean some information from your experiences.