View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 09:45 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
As the old saying goes: " HERE IS ONE THAT IS GOOD FOR THE MONEY!!!"

I have owned this exact model for more than three years.
It has both PRESTA and SCHRADER built in.
I have PRESTA valves on my TRIATHLON competition bicycle.
I have good old SCHRADER valves on my ancient Schwinns and other old classics.
At $12.99 at HARBOR FREIGHT, you cannot go wrong, as it is a decent enough pump!
Yes, the accuracy of the round dial bar/PSI gauge is NOT ACCURATE.......you get somewhat of a ballpark figure that is not accurate enough to rely on!!
I use a very high quality Tire Pressure Gauge that I use for my automobiles, to read and measure the air pressure readings.
The quality Tire Pressure Gauge that I do own was made in Germany and did in fact cost much more than $12.99.
The fact remains that this el-cheapo $12.99 HARBOR FREIGHT floor pump does do the job very well.
You are simply airing bicycle tires, and it functions admirably for that purpose.
Can you buy a better and perhaps maybe a longer lasting floor pump? Yes, perhaps but from what I have seen there are floor model pumps that retail for $100 or more that do not do a better job of inflating a typical bicycle tire. Several Triathlon participants with bikes that have wheelsets on them that alone cost more than $4000, that have borrowed and pumped their tires to the desired pressure that they wanted the tires with this $12.99 el-cheapo Harbor Freight pump that I own.
ITEM number 63304 at HARBOR FREIGHT the UPC code is 7 92363 63304 8
You also will buy it for less than $12.99 because You Can Choose To Apply the 20% OFF COUPON, which you may use on each and every visit to Harbor Freight, as it is applicable to either the single item that you purchase, or the most valuable single item that you purchase, that is not already on some special sale pricing.
You do have to gather and present the 20% COUPON to the clerk at checkout. Sales circulars, and monthly mailings, etc. some of which can sometimes be obtained at near the front door upon entering the store.
https://www.harborfreight.com/High-F...ump-63304.html
Why the heck do ya really need to spend any more than $12.99 if that Harbor Freight pump works decent enough!!
Save your money and get a quality frame pump to carry along on your racing road bike in the event of an emergency flat tire change, because as yall know very well, it just is not practical to carry along a floor pump in most cases.... Sure, you might have some doofus that might carry his sooper dooper $169 lasts a lifetime floorpump along strapped via bungies to his Pletscher rear rack, but that is almost idiotic.
Spend your money in a practical manner.
If you really care about spending money for a quality pump, I suggest that you turn your attention to focusing on purchasing a quality, moderately expensive, 12 volt cig lighter plug -- Air Compressor for each of your automobiles. Below a certain price point, price range, you will find that these 12volt Air Compressors are junk which may or may not survive one time use before burning up, but the ones that are actually good, will do the job well each and every time. Many cars today already come with one, as those cars that already feature these as standard equipment generally do not come with a spare tire or temporary spare tire.............you simply have a quality compressor that runs on 12v and a canister of a fix-a-flat type substance........................yes, it will get your car back on the road assuming the air leak is a nail or small screw etc but it does nothing for you if your tire is damaged beyond that such as ripped/slashed/cut that it cannot be sealed via the fix-a-flat.
Now, these 12v AIR COMPRESSORS are SHRADER VALVE since automobiles/trucks/suvs/sports cars etc, all use the stronger and more reliable shrader valve stem.
There are adaptors that one can employ to use these to inflate Presta tubes on bicycles.
It is my opinion that a high cost, quality floor pump is not essential to inflate and maintain bicycle tires. These el-cheapo Harbor Freight floor pumps do both PRESTA and SCHRADER and this el-cheapo Harbor Freight certainly does a good enough job!!
Buy a quality accurate TIRE GAUGE to use primarily for your automobiles.
Buy a quality carry-along lightweight bicycle pump if you don't wish to ever be in the boonies somewhere with a flat-repair situation.........sure there are CO2 cannisters but you'll have all the AIR that you'd ever need with a carry-along pump....................sure you might get tired of pumping, but you'll get it fully inflated........THIS IS WHY THAT I SAY THAT YOU NEED A QUALITY LIGHTWEIGHT CARRY-ALONG PUMP THAT MOUNTS TO THE FRAME OR SITS IN THE SEAT BAG OR IN YOUR REAR JERSEY POCKET MUCH MUCH MORE THAN YOU NEED AN EXPENSIVE FLOOR PUMP. There is a huge difference in the performance and quality of the lightweight carry-along pumps such that you do need to spend enough to buy a quality carry-along pump that works well........................................that ol elcheapo $12.99 Harbor Freight floor pump does work just about as well as most any floor pump that costs ten times as much.....................SAVE YOUR DOUGH, AND SPEND IT ON SPECIFIC ITEMS THAT WILL REALLY BENEFIT YOU!! It is really good for the money.

That Harbor Freight #63304 floor pump has a cheap hard black plastic attaching nozzle thingy at the end of the hose which has SCHRADER and PRESTA in a sort of over and under, or side by side 'headlight'- configuration seen in old antique cars from about 1958 to the nineties. The pump functions in the rather odd arrangement that you place the corresponding nozzle hole over your tire valve and then you FLIP THE LEVER UP SUCH THAT IT EXTENDS SKYWARD IN THE SAME 12'O'CLOCK DIRECTION THAT THE VALVE STEM FACES................so initially when you place the corresponding nozzle over your tire valve, That LEVER is oriented the same direction as the hose on the pump which is 90 degrees to the nozzle outlets..................You will see what I mean as this pump only functions in this manner............thus to lock the nozzle to the stem and pump the tire.........you FLIP THE LEVER UP SKYWARDS 12' O'CLOCK IN SAME DIRECTION THAT THE VALVE STEM FACES..........-AND- when you wish to remove the nozzle, you must FLIP THE LEVER DOWN SIDEWAYS 90 DEGREES..........................
For such an inexpensive el-cheapo floor pump, this Harbor Freight pump (item #63304 at Harbor Freight) does work well.
I may be in better physical condition than most but I don't think that will matter to anyone between 7 years old and 77 years old who is able walk to the mailbox or to the end of the driveway. Will this pump last 40 years? I don't really give a hoot because it still functions perfectly after 3 years. I clearly do not expect such a pump to last ten years. All pumps will wear out and/or break at some point in time. Such a $12.99 el-cheapo Floor Pump is a great buy even if you only get 18 months of use out of it before it breaks. For most folks this pump would be more than adequate. Should you have very high PSI bicycle tires to inflate and you perhaps cannot pump these without getting tired or winded, then perhaps you may need another solution and perhaps a personal trainer and a focused exercise regimen
At $12.99 less the 20% discount, plus your applicable state-local sales tax,......this is really decent........it is good for the money!

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 05-05-20 at 09:53 PM.